Monday, January 3, 2011

Healthy and time to practice walking uphill

Ok, in an effort to train for Leadville's Hope Pass I have incorporated walking uphill on the treadmill during the winter.  I am lucky enough to have a job where I can work out while I am there.  As much as I hate treadmills, our new treadmill goes up to 12%.  I ate before to practice walking on a full stomach (ok, only a banana and coffee) and had a cliff bar during.  I also put on my camelbak (70 oz.) to get use to walking with it.  So, here it is:

mph     mins.     %
2           1         12
2.5        1         "
3           1         "
3.2        21       "
3.4        30       "
3.5        15       "
3.6        15       "


Total     85mins. (4.76 mi.) 3016' gain

This wasn't at elevation, but if I can do it faster and longer, then maybe I will be ready for Hope Pass.  I will slowly pick my total walk time and maybe the pace a little.  I may add a little weight in my camelbak too.  During the race I will be used trekking poles to take some stress off my quads and knees, especially on the way down.

C-D: barefoot run (10 mins. at 3mph, 0.5 miles)

Followed workout with 100 push-ups (over the course of the next hour)
I am switching my "resistance workouts" to one exercise or two over the course of a day rather than a bunch of exercises in a short time.  I figure that the race is going to take 30 hours or less (hopefully), so I should train specifically for that.

No comments:

Post a Comment